Happy Christmas Eve! Sorry I disappeared for a while there. Life developments kicking into full gear coupled with less sunlight meant blogging was a challenge. But I did get in a quick bake before Christmas, these lemon squares!
These are particularly special to bake because I used my mother's lemon tree for the first time! I've never used homegrown fruit before, and it was awesome to bake something I picked myself.
I also used Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks as a butter substitute for the crust, making these dairy-free.
Makes 24 squares
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 40 minutes
For the Crust1 cup butter or butter substitute, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 cup flour
For the filling4 eggs
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
Juice of 2 lemons, about 1/4 cup
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Blend together the butter or butter substitute, sugar, and flour in a large bowl, until completely blended to the consistency of wet sand. Press into a 9x13 inch pan, until smooth.
2. Bake the crust for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and firm. The butter substitute will not brown as well, but bake until firm. It may take an extra 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the sugar and flour together in a large bowl. Add the eggs and lemon juice, and whisk until blended smoothly.
4. Pour into the crust and bake for another 20 minutes. Drop the temperature in the oven to 325 F. The dish should be slightly wobbly in the center, and will firm up as it cools.
5. Let cool completely, at least for one hour, then sift or sprinkle powdered sugar over the top.
These are tart, sweet, and perfect for a gift exchange!
Happy baking! And Merry Christmas!