Chocolate Caramel Popcorn Cake
Hold on to your hats guys. This cake is nuts. It's a delicious, caramel-salty combo. There are so many beautiful parts of this, I'm going to break them down one by one. First the cake. Usually I am lazy and make my cakes with all-purpose flour, but this one I took the time to use cake flour and buttermilk! And yeah, it was so worth it. I got the recipe from Joy the Baker's Homemade Decadence.
3 cups cake flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
11/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease three 8-inch round cake pans.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugars together until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, making sure they are incorporated before adding the next. Add the vanilla extract.
- Reduce the speed to low or stir in half the flour mixture until completely incorporated. Slowly add the buttermilk, then add the rest of the flour mixture.
- Divide the batter among the 3 prepared pans, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Fill the layers with caramel buttercream and cover with chocolate buttercream. Drench the edges with caramel sauce and top with caramel popcorn.