Happy Labor Day, ya'll. I don't know about you, but I'm really not ready for the summer to end.
But on the bright side, fall baking is approaching! (Cue the pumpkin spice-induced cackles.)
Consider this my good-bye to summer. My ode to campfires and barbecues. My give-me-S'more pie with layers of rich chocolate, creamy Swiss meringue, and sprinkles of graham crackers. While this pie requires a few quick bakes and cools, I made it in less than an hour! It's messy like a s'more, with six alternating layers of chocolate, marshmallow, meringue, Nutella, and graham. I love it.
1 1/4 cup graham crackers, crushed finely
2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted
3 bars of Hersey's milk chocolate
1 tablespoon coffee
1/2 cup Nutella
3 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix 1 cup of the graham crackers crumbs, sugar, and melted butter in a bowl. Firmly pat into a 8-inch spring form pan. Bake for 10 minutes, until slightly browned. Place in freezer to cool. Leave the oven on.
- Meanwhile place coffee and chocolate bars in a microwave safe bowl. Melt chocolate mixture for 15 seconds, and stir until smooth. When the crust has cooled completely, evenly pipe or spread the chocolate over the top.
- With a sharp knife, cut the marshmallows in half. Tightly fit them over the chocolate, sliced sides down. Place in the oven for 5-7 minutes, until the marshmallows have completely melted and merged together.
- Allow the marshmallows to cool once more, meanwhile make the swiss meringue.
- Whisk the egg whites and sugar in a heat-proof bowl over a pot of simmering water, until the sugar has completely dissolved and the mixture has reached 180 F. Whisk in a stand-mixer or with a hand-mixer until cooled, fluffy, and shiny.
- Spread the Nutella over the marshmallow layer, then sprinkle 1/4 cup graham crackers over the chocolate. Pour the meringue over the crumb layer, and carefully spread evenly to the sides.
- Place in the freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour to set completely.
- With a blow torch: Lightly toast the top. With a broiler: Set oven to 500 F, and roast for 5-7 minutes until lightly brown.
And enjoy! Gooey, crunchy, and chocolatey goodness. Summer, I'm gonna miss you.