It might not feel like it, but it's September. And you know what that means?
Fall. It's here. School is back in session. The temperatures drop (eventually). And baking no longer turns your kitchen into the surface of the sun.
Fall is a very divisive season. Either you absolutely love it, busting out your plaid shirts, leather boots, apple-picking knits to go get your pumpkin spiced latte as soon as the heat breaks. Or you are in full denial and can't wait for winter to show up to save us from the hay-ride crazies.
Regardless of which side you owe fealty to, you can't deny Fall has some delicious flavors. Cinnamon, apple, pumpkin, caramel. I love to bake, but I have zero energy after work. That's why I love box mixes when my schedule gets busy.
Like these brownies! I made them using Ghirardelli's box mix, which makes delicious brownies simply and easily. I also added a quick caramel sauce. Super delicious and cozy, batch bakes like these are what makes me excited for the changing season.
Caramel sauce is a little tricky to make, and can take some practice. The key is to watch the sugar carefully. Take the sugar off the heat just before it turns the desired amber color, because it will continue to cook in the hot pan.
Salted Caramel Sauce
Makes: 1 cup sauce
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- In small sauce pan, warm the cream.
- In another pan, heat the sugar and cold water over medium heat. Do not stir, but swirl occasionally. Cook until the syrup has caramelized and turned golden brown.
- Slowly pour the warm cream into the sugar, and whisk quickly to blend. Leave on the heat for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the butter and stir. Pour over brownies.
Make a cup of tea, get snuggly, and enjoy! After school/work snack anyone?