Leftover Turkey Pot Pie
So I had a lot of leftover turkey after Thanksgiving. No surprise of course. But after a few days of turkey sandwiches, I decided it was time to change things up. Pie time! I found this recipe on Food Network's website, and made slight modifications to suit my taste and what I had in the fridge. I had planned to make a huge pie and have leftovers of the leftovers for the next day, but it turned out so well my family finished the whole thing at once! I think this might be the start of a tradition.
Total Time: 1 hour
Bake Time: 40 -45 minutes
2 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
4 tablespoons flour
4 cups chicken or turkey stock
6-8 mini potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 sprigs rosemary
2 cups shredded turkey
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 stems fresh thyme
Salt and peper to taste
Pie dough, or pre-made dough
For the Filling
1) Preheat oven to 350 F.
2) Melt butter in saucepan. Mix in garlic, celery, and carrots. Cook on medium-high heat until softened.
3) Stir in flour until well combined, and cook for 2 minutes.
4) Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
5) Then add the potatoes and the rosemary sprigs, simmer until tender, stirring occasionally.
6) Stir in the turkey and fresh parsley and thyme. Remove the rosemary.
To Assemble the Pie
7) Roll out half of the chilled pie dough on a well floured surface, or on parchment paper.
8) Gently fit the dough into a deep 9 inch pie dish. Carefully pour the filling into the prepared dish.
9) Roll out the remainder of the dough, and place it on top, over the filling. Crimp the edges as you like and cut slits in the top to ventilate. Brush the top with egg wash, as desired.
10) Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown.