Faux French Silk Oreo Cake
This is an incredibly simple and delicious dessert, that looks very impressive and beautiful on a table. I liked the light taste of the Cool Whip (yup, Cool Whip) and Oreos, but if you want to use real whipped cream, feel free! I found this recipe at Baker's Royale, a great food blog, and was most excited by the nostalgia of Oreos and French Silk. I remember when we were kids my brothers and I would go nuts over slices of French Silk pie from Baker's Square. The homemade pudding (which also could be store bought) makes a rich, chocolate layer that tastes surprisingly similar to French Silk, but is much less finicky to make. In fact, this recipe could be completely no-bake if you bought everything from the store: fabulous!
Bake time: 10-15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes (plus extra for chilling)
1 sixteen ounce tub of Cool Whip, thawed
2-4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup cornstarch
½ cup granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
3 cups whole milk
1 cup chocolate chips
1 tablespoon vanilla
6 Maraschino cherries, to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
Make the crust:
2. Place most of the Oreos in a gallon zipper -lock bag, leave a few to decorate afterward. Crush the cookies finely with a rolling pin or with your hands.
3. In a large bowl, mix 2/3 of the crushed Oreos with the melted butter, and pat into an 8 inch spring form pan, or into a pie dish.
4. Bake 10-12 minutes, until firm. Let cool before adding the pudding layer.
Make the pudding:
5. Thoroughly whip the milk, cornstarch, sugar and salt in a sauce pan.
6. Heat on medium-high heat, stirring continuously and making sure to scrape the bottom well, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon or spatula.
7. Stir in the chocolate and vanilla until completely combined.
8. Pour the pudding through a sieve to catch any cornstarch globs (it happens). Let cool, and pour into the crust. Chill in the freezer, till considerably frozen.
Make the Cool-whip layer:
9. Stir the remaining crushed Oreos with the Cool Whip. Smooth onto the pudding layer.
10. Decorate with cherries, Oreo halves, and piped Cool Whip, as you desire. For best result, chill in the freezer for 2-3 hours. Enjoy!