Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
I'm not really a soup person. Especially at this time of the year. But when I saw this roasted tomato soup on The Delicious Miss. Dahl, I figured I should give it a shot while fresh tomatoes are so abundant and delicious right now.
7 plum tomatoes
1 red or white onion
1 garlic bulb
7-8 fresh leaves of basil or thyme
1 tbs sugar
a pinch of salt and pepper
1-2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs of balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup milk or cream (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2. Slice the tomatoes in half, quarter the onion, and split the garlic in half.
3. Place in a deep pan with basil leaves, and sprinkle on the sugar, salt, and pepper. Spread the olive oil liberally over everything and toss lightly
4. Bake for 45-50 minutes, turning the convection roast on after about 40 minutes if necessary.
5. Allow to cool a few minutes, then pour into a blender and blend till smooth.
6. Add the balsamic and any extra salt to taste. If too thick, put back on the stove and thin with cream or milk.
Voila! Sweet, tangy, and bright this was a soup that brightened my day. And it was so simple to make. I paired with a cheese souffle, but it would also be scrumptious with a baked potato or just some crusty bread!