My Favorite Pie Crust
1 tbs sugar
pinch of salt
1 stick cold butter, cut into pieces
8 tbs vegetable shortening
4-5 tbs ice water
1. Mix the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl.
2. Add the butter and shortening and combine until it is the consistency of coarse sand.
3. Next add the ice water and continue mixing, until the dough just comes together and forms a ball. You don't want it to be too sticky! Add just enough for the dough to form.
4. Knead the dough a little, for about 30 seconds. This will build up some gluten and will prevent the dough from being too crumbly.
5. Separate the dough in two, and form each into a 2 inch thick disk. Wrap each in cling-wrap and place in the fridge for at least one hour (freezer helps here). Four is best, and it can keep for 2-3 days.