Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti
However, these pistachio and chocolate chip biscotti are freaking delicious. And really pretty, in their own way; when I saw them in Martha Stewart's Cookies, I immediately started shelling pistachios. Crunchy, fudgy, so rich they may be mistaken for brownies, and with pops of nutty pistachios, I figured the one picture would be enough.
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 cup shelled pistachios (toasted)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Baking Times: 25 minutes, and 8 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. If the butter is frozen, melt it for 10 seconds on high in the microwave. *Watch it carefully. This works for me, but I'm not responsible for butter puddles inside your microwave.
2. Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
3. In another large bowl or a mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs, beating slowly until well combined, then add flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time until a stiff dough forms.
5. Stir in the pistachios and chocolate chips until well mixed. Press the dough towards the bottom of the bowl to combine well.
6. Place the dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet and form into a flat log, about 14 inches long, 4 inches wide, and 1 1/2 inches tall (You may need to place it diagonally on the tray.)
7. Bake until firm and dry, about 25 minutes. Take it out and let cool for 5 minutes, while you preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
8. Carefully, carefully lift the log onto a cutting board. You might need extra hands or a spatula for this one.
9. Cut out 1 inch slices diagonally across the log, to form the biscotti. While cutting, by careful of the pistachios, which can pop out or tear the loaf. Firm slices here!
10. Place the biscotti face down on the baking sheet, and bake for another 8-10 minutes, until the centers are soft but cooked.
11. Let cool completely and enjoy!